Monday, August 27, 2012

Julianne Donaldson Interview (with Mary Nichelson)

Picture
Shadow Mountain Publishing recently announced a new brand of romance appropriately called Proper Romance. “I think the pendulum has swung as far as it can in the erotica direction. What was once exciting for readers is getting a little old, and a lot of readers are ready for something different” explains author Julianne Donaldson. “I am not saying that every romance should be like mine, but I am saying that there should be room for a variety, and before now, that was very difficult to find outside of the inspirational category. The fact that Jane Austen continues to be a favorite among both readers and movie-goers gives me hope that readers will embrace this new brand of proper romance.” The first book in Shadow Mountain’s proper romance genre is Donaldson’s new book, Edenbrooke. Although not a faith based novel that includes a spiritual dilemma of sorts,Edenbrooke is perfect for readers who love the Jane Austen experience minus the gratuitous sexual situations or language, and Donaldson delivers without layering the plot with sugarcoated wording or characters. Edenbrooke is a step in the right direction for Proper Romance, and one that Shadow Mountain can be proud to offer readers that are, in fact, “looking for something different.”

MN-What do you think Jane Austen would say about the romance genre today?

JD- I think she would be shocked at what can be written and published in a novel today, considering the innocent nature of her novels. I also think she would surprised that her writing sparked an entire genre of literature. And-this is strictly my own opinion, of course-I imagine she would wish for more elevating love stories and less of a focus on lust in today’s romance novels.

MN- What were your biggest obstacles in writing this story?

JD- The hardest part about writing this story was making it fresh while keeping it believably Regency. It was a very restrictive time to live in, especially for a young lady. I had to consider everything from language to geography to social customs to class distinctions to chaperones. There were many times I dreamed of writing a fantasy instead so I could shape an imagined world around my plot instead of trying to work my plot into the tight box of a Regency world.

MN-What made you interested in writing a romance set in the Regency period?

JD- When I seventeen, I contracted pneumonia and spent a month in bed. A good friend saved me from boredom by giving me a stack of Georgette Heyer novels. I devoured each one, and then read them again and again. I have been in love with the Regency period ever since. I studied British literature in college, watched every movie produced that features the Regency time period, and dreamed of men dressed in breeches. When I decided to try my hand at writing a novel, my mind automatically went to the Regency period and refused to leave. It was like the hometown of my imagination.

MN- If Edenbrooke were made into a movie, who could you see playing Marianne and Philip?

JD- There is a young British actress named Imogen Poots who I can totally see as Marianne. My favorite leading men right now are Jake Gyllenhaal and James McAvoy. I would pay good money to see either of them play dreamy Philip.

MN- Where is your favorite place to write?

JD- Next to a window, preferably some place where no one will interrupt me. You can usually find me in my local library, but I would love to have a quiet writing room at home.

MN- Can you give us a hint concerning what your next story is going to be about?

JD- My next story, which is also set in the Regency period. is about a young lady who dreams of going to India. There is also a grand estate with too many secrets, a smuggler, a gentleman, and a bargain.

Author bio-Julianne Donaldson grew up as the daughter of a U.S. Air Force fighter pilot. She learned how to ski in the Italian Alps, visited East Berlin before the wall came down, and spent three years living next to a 500-year-old castle. After earning a degree in English, she turned her attention to writing about distant times and places. She lives in Utah with her husband and four children. Edenbrooke is her first novel.

You can learn more about author Julianne Donaldson by visiting her website or connecting through Facebook.
 
Also interviewed in the August issue of The Wordsmith Journal: Donita K. Paul & Evangeline Denmark, Alvetta Rolle, and Cortney Davis.

About Mary Nichelson: http://www.marysworld411.com/

This interview is courtesy of The Wordsmith Journal Magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment